Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In the Kitchen: Pumpkin Cake Roll



My pumpkin extravaganza continues with what I consider a fall dessert staple, Pumpkin Roll! Last Christmas I asked for jelly roll pans just so I could make this very spiral of deliciousness. With the right tools, this recipe is fairly quick and easy and the results are nothing less than impressive. You will find a printable recipe card at the end of this post.

Prep time: 40 min | Bake Time: 15 min | Serves 8 - 10

Ingredients:
3 eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar (I use Splenda and up it to 1 and 1/4 cups)
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional, I left out)
sifted powder sugar

Cream Cheese Filling:
6 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar


Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1 baking/jelly roll pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper or parchment paper, grease the paper. Set aside.

In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.


Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl beat eggs on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.


The volume of the eggs will significantly increase (shown left).

Next, gradually beat in the granulated sugar. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Fold flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix well.


Spread evenly in prepared pan. If desired, top with chopped walnuts.

Prepare a towel for rolling the cake by sifting powdered sugar over it.


Bake for 15 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Do not overbake or it will get spongy.

Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn out onto the prepared towel. Remove the wax paper. Position a short side of the cake at the end of the towel.


Begin rolling into a spiral, cool on a wire rack.


Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese filling. In a small bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth each time.

Spread filling onto cake to within 1" of edges.


Re-roll the cake. I find it helps to kind of lift a bit as you roll, otherwise you just push all the yummy filling right out the end. Once rolled, trim the ends clean. Cover and chill for 2 - 48 hours. Store in refrigerator.


Sift a little powdered sugar over the top before serving and enjoy!

Between you and me, the real reason I love making this so much is because of how cute it looks on my favorite vintage serving tray ;)


You can find more easy and delicious recipes here.

11 comments:

Asil Designs said...

WOW...That looks sooooo yummy, I'm gonna try it this week-end
Thanks

christen [good day sunshine] said...

my grandmother makes these! i LOVE them!

spedhead said...

OMG I HAVE to try that. It looks positively delicious. BTW I have an awesome pumpkin ginger cupcake recipe that is outstanding if you are interested.
Kara

spedhead said...

I also meant to thank you for this recipe and heplful pictures....

Robin Ennis Willson said...

Wow..that looks good! I love pumpkin anything...I used to make tons of jelly rolls when I was a teenager. I'll have to see if I can find my pan - or maybe Mom has it.
...I guess that's a vintage pan now...LOL

fiberstory said...

This is my favorite fall dessert! My husband begs me to make it all the time. Like you said, it really is quite simple with the right tools. Thanks for teasing my sweet tooth, Nicole!

Sydney said...

Oh does this look gooooood!!! Nicole, you are not helping me lose this a** of mine ;)

Wear Your Wild said...

Looks delicious! I love my jelly roll pan. If you haven't made one before, you should try a buche de Noel for the holidays! Fun (and easy) to make and looks amazing.

Brenda said...

Looks and sounds divine! I love pumpkin, and you had me at cream cheese. :)

Gifted Designs said...

I didn't know you could make so much stuff with Pumpkins...I've only discovered Pumpkin Pie recently and so it's nice to see there are other things I can attempt to make!

danielle said...

omg! delish. must invest in this jelly roll pan :D